Admit Achievers

Can international students work while studying in the USA?

Yes, international students in the USA are generally allowed to work while studying, but there are some restrictions on the types of employment and the number of hours they can work.

There are two main categories of employment available to international students in the USA: on-campus employment and off-campus employment.

On-campus employment: International students with an F-1 visa are eligible to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the summer vacation. This can include jobs such as working in the library, cafeteria, or as a research assistant.

Off-campus employment: International students may also be eligible for off-campus employment after they have completed one full academic year in the US and have maintained their F-1 status. Off-campus employment may be authorized through the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, which allows students to work in a field related to their major for up to 12 months after graduation. Additionally, international students may be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) during their studies if it is a required part of their academic program.

It’s important to note that international students must obtain authorization from their school’s international student office or the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before starting any employment, and failure to obtain proper authorization can result in serious consequences, including deportation.

Scroll to Top

Submit your details and we will reach out. Alternatively, you can reach us at +91 88260 31820

Pop Up Form
Supporting Subheading

Want to know where to start your Study Abroad Plans?

Connect with our experts for a FREE counselling session to kick-start your Study Abroad aspirations