Study Abroad Success
How Indian Students can choose Top Universities to
Study Summer Programs Abroad?
What are Summer Programs?
The idea of pursuing summer programs abroad can be exciting and daunting at the same time. Exciting because it gives students the opportunity to experience a new culture, learn a new language, and make lifelong memories. Daunting because it involves planning, research, and cost.
Summer programs are a popular choice for students looking to gain new experiences and broaden their horizons. These programs offer a unique opportunity to study, travel, and explore different cultures during the summer break.
Whether you’re interested in learning a new language, taking a deep dive into a particular subject area, or simply looking to gain a new perspective on the world, summer programs can provide an enriching and rewarding experience.
As study abroad specialists, we understand the challenges that students and their families face when considering a summer program abroad. In this comprehensive guide, we will provide all the necessary information that Indian students need to know before pursuing a summer program abroad.
We’ll take a closer look at the top summer programs offered by universities in the USA, UK, Australia, Europe, and more. We’ll explore the key factors to consider when selecting a program, including program focus, duration, location, reputation, and cost, and provide expert advice to help you make the most of your summer adventure.
Table of Contents
Why pursue Summer Programs Abroad?
Summer programs abroad offer students the chance to gain a competitive edge in their academic and professional careers. They provide a unique learning experience that cannot be replicated in a classroom setting. By studying abroad, students can improve their language skills, broaden their perspectives, and develop cultural sensitivity. They can also make new friends from around the world and build a global network.
Summer programs abroad are also a great way to explore potential fields of study or career paths. Students can take courses in subjects that may not be available in their home country or participate in internships that provide hands-on experience in their desired field.
When should you consider Summer Programs to Study Abroad?
Summer programs abroad are typically offered between May and August, although some programs may begin earlier or end later. Students should consider a summer program abroad if they:
- Want to explore a new culture or country
- Are interested in studying a specific subject or field
- Want to gain international experience for their future career
- Have limited time to study abroad during the academic year
- Want to earn academic credit while studying abroad
- Want to improve their language skills
- Want to participate in an internship or research project.
Where to pursue Summer Programs to Study Abroad?
There are countless options for summer programs abroad, making it difficult to choose the right one. It is important to consider factors such as program length, cost, location, and academic offerings when choosing a summer program abroad.
Some popular destinations for Indian students include:
- United States: The US offers a wide variety of summer programs in fields such as business, engineering, and the arts.
- United Kingdom: The UK is a popular destination for summer programs in subjects such as history, literature, and law.
- Australia: Australia offers summer programs in areas such as marine biology, environmental studies, and tourism.
- Canada: Canada is a great destination for summer programs in fields such as healthcare, engineering, and technology.
- Europe: Europe offers a range of summer programs in subjects such as art history, language, and international relations.Where
How to choose the best Summer Programs to Study Abroad?
Choosing the best summer programs to study abroad can be overwhelming, but there are several factors that can help narrow down the options:
- Program Length: Summer programs can vary in length from just a few weeks to several months. It’s important to consider the length of the program when selecting a program, as this can affect the depth and intensity of the learning experience.
- Program Focus: Some summer programs are highly focused on a particular subject area, while others offer a more general learning experience. It’s important to consider your own interests and goals when selecting a program, as well as the reputation and quality of the program and institution.
- Cultural Immersion: Many summer programs include cultural activities and language immersion experiences. It’s important to consider how important these factors are to you when selecting a program, as they can greatly enhance the overall learning experience.
- Location: The location of the program can also be an important factor to consider. Some programs are located in urban areas, while others are located in more rural or remote locations. It’s important to consider your own preferences and interests when selecting a program location.
- Cost: Cost is an important factor to consider when selecting a summer program. Programs can range from free to thousands of dollars, depending on the country, institution, and program length. It’s important to carefully consider your budget and to research the costs of different programs to find one that is affordable and meets your needs.
- Program Reputation The reputation and quality of the summer program and the institution offering it can also be an important factor to consider. Researching the reputation and track record of the program can help you determine if it’s a good fit for your academic and career goals.
Top Summer Programs for Indian Students to Study Abroad
Here are some top summer programs abroad that Indian students may consider:
- Harvard University Pre-College Program: This program allows high school students to take college-level courses and experience life at Harvard.
- Oxford Royale Academy: This program offers courses in a variety of subjects and includes cultural and social activities in the historic city of Oxford.
- Sciences Po Summer School: This program is offered in Paris and offers courses in social sciences and French language.
- The London School of Economics and Political Science Summer School: This program offers courses in economics, business, and law in the heart of London.
- ETH Zurich Summer School: This program offers courses in engineering, science, and technology at one of the top universities in Switzerland.
- Stanford Summer Session: This program allows students to take courses in a variety of subjects at one of the top universities in the world.
- University of Cambridge International Summer Programmes: This program offers courses in a variety of subjects and includes cultural activities in the historic city of Cambridge.
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Summer School: This program offers courses in Chinese language, culture, and business in one of the most dynamic cities in China.
Types of Summer Programs
Summer programs come in a variety of formats and are offered by many different institutions, including universities, language schools, and organizations focused on cultural exchange. Here are some common types of summer programs:
- Language immersion programs: These programs are designed to help students improve their language skills by immersing them in a foreign language environment. Students may attend language classes, participate in cultural activities, and stay with host families to practice their language skills.
- Academic programs: Many universities offer summer programs that allow students to earn academic credit while studying abroad. These programs may focus on a particular subject area, such as business, engineering, or the arts.
- Internship programs: Some organizations offer summer internship programs that allow students to gain work experience in their field of interest while also experiencing a new culture. These programs may include language classes or cultural activities as well.
- Volunteer programs: Many organizations offer volunteer programs that allow students to make a positive impact in a community while also gaining cultural experience. These programs may focus on environmental conservation, community development, or other areas of social impact.
Benefits of Summer Programs
Participating in a summer program abroad can offer many benefits for students. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Cultural immersion: By living and studying in a foreign country, students have the opportunity to experience a new culture firsthand. This can help students develop intercultural competence and expand their worldview.
- Language acquisition: Language immersion programs can be an effective way to improve language skills. By practicing the language with native speakers and in real-world situations, students can gain fluency and confidence in a language.
- Academic credit: Many summer programs offer academic credit, allowing students to earn credit towards their degree while also gaining international experience.
- Professional development: Internship programs and volunteer programs can provide valuable work experience and skills that can be useful in future careers.
- Networking: By meeting new people and developing relationships with peers, host families, and professionals in their field of interest, students can build a strong network that can be useful in their future careers.
Top Categories of Summer Programs
Summer programs are available in many different subject areas, from business to the arts. Here are some of the top subject categories for summer programs, along with examples of universities that offer programs in each area:
Business and Management
- Harvard Business School (USA)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (UK)
- INSEAD Business School (France/Singapore)
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (USA)
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech) (USA)
- Imperial College London (UK)
- University of Oxford (UK)
- Yale University (USA)
- University of California, Berkeley (USA)
Art and Design
- Central Saint Martins (UK)
- Rhode Island School of Design (USA)
- École Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs (France)
Language and Culture
- Middlebury Language Schools (USA)
- Université Paris-Sorbonne (France)
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (UK)
- Harvard Law School (USA)
- University of Melbourne (Australia)
- University of Oxford (UK)
- Harvard Medical School (USA)
- University of Tokyo (Japan)
- University of California, Berkeley (USA)
- Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
- Technical University of Munich (Germany)
Computer Science and Information Technology
- Carnegie Mellon University (USA)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (USA)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
Hospitality and Tourism
- Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (Switzerland)
- Cornell University (USA)
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong)
Keep in mind that these are just a few examples, and there are many other subject areas and universities that offer summer programs. When selecting a program, it’s important to consider your own interests and goals, as well as the reputation and quality of the program and institution.
Here is a summary of the Summer Programs categories offered by Top Countries across the globe:
|Summer Programs Category||Top Countries|
|Language Immersion||Spain, France, Italy, Germany, China, Japan|
|Cultural Immersion||Greece, Peru, Thailand, Morocco|
|STEM||United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan|
|Business and Economics||United States, United Kingdom, Singapore, Switzerland, China|
|Arts and Humanities||Italy, France, United Kingdom, Greece, Japan|
|Volunteer and Community Service||Costa Rica, South Africa, Ecuador, Thailand, Peru|
Top countries offering Summer Programs
When it comes to studying abroad during the summer, there are many countries to choose from. Some of the top countries offering summer programs include:
United States of America
The United States is a popular destination for summer programs due to its many top universities and diverse range of programs. Many summer programs in the USA focus on hands-on learning experiences and internships, allowing students to gain practical experience in their field of study. The country also offers a rich cultural experience, with opportunities to explore American history, food, music, and more.
- Harvard Summer School: Harvard University is one of the top universities in the world, and its summer school offers a wide range of courses in various disciplines, including the arts, sciences, and humanities. The program is open to high school students, college students, and adult learners.
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies: Stanford University offers several summer programs for high school students, including the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Summer Institutes. These programs offer courses in a variety of subjects, from computer science and engineering to creative writing and philosophy.
- Columbia University Summer Program for High School Students: Columbia University offers a summer program for high school students, which allows them to experience college-level courses in subjects such as literature, history, and science. The program also offers workshops on college preparation and application.
- Yale Young Global Scholars: Yale University offers a summer program for high school students from around the world, which focuses on leadership, innovation, and global issues. The program offers courses in a variety of subjects, including science, politics, and economics.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Summer Programs: MIT offers several summer programs for high school students, including the MIT Online Science, Technology, and Engineering Community (MOSTEC), which offers courses in science, technology, and engineering, and the MIT Minority Introduction to Engineering and Science (MITES), which is designed to encourage underrepresented students to pursue careers in STEM fields.
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Summer Sessions: UCLA offers a variety of summer programs for high school students, including courses in math, science, writing, and the arts. The program also offers college preparation workshops and extracurricular activities.
The UK is known for its prestigious universities and academic rigor, making it a popular destination for students seeking academic and research-based summer programs. Many summer programs in the UK offer courses in a variety of subjects, including STEM fields, humanities, and social sciences. The country also offers opportunities for cultural immersion, with many historic landmarks and cultural institutions to explore.
- University of Oxford Summer School for High School Students: The University of Oxford offers a summer program for high school students, which allows them to experience college-level courses in subjects such as law, medicine, and business. The program also offers workshops on college preparation and application.
- University of Cambridge Immerse Education Summer Program: The University of Cambridge offers a summer program for high school students, which allows them to experience college-level courses in subjects such as law, medicine, and engineering. The program also offers extracurricular activities and cultural experiences.
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) Summer School: LSE offers a summer program for high school students and adult learners, which focuses on economics, business, and politics. The program offers courses in subjects such as finance, management, and global governance.
- University of Edinburgh Summer School: The University of Edinburgh offers a summer program for high school students and adult learners, which allows them to experience college-level courses in subjects such as literature, history, and science. The program also offers extracurricular activities and cultural experiences.
Australia is known for its laid-back lifestyle and stunning natural beauty, making it a popular destination for students seeking a balance between academic study and outdoor adventure. Many summer programs in Australia focus on practical, hands-on learning experiences, such as fieldwork and internships. The country also offers opportunities for cultural immersion, with a rich Aboriginal history and diverse cultural institutions.
- University of Melbourne Young Leaders Program: The University of Melbourne Young Leaders Program is a two-week program designed for high-achieving students from around the world. The program offers students the opportunity to develop leadership skills, engage with academic topics and experience life at the University of Melbourne.
- Monash University Global Discovery Program: The Monash University Global Discovery Program is a three-week program for high school students that offers an opportunity to experience university life and explore a range of academic areas. The program offers a variety of interactive workshops, social activities, and cultural experiences.
- University of Sydney International Summer School: The University of Sydney International Summer School offers a range of courses in various disciplines, including arts, business, health sciences, and engineering. The program is designed to provide students with a challenging and enriching academic experience, as well as opportunities to explore Sydney and its surrounds.
- Australian National University (ANU) Science Summer School: The ANU Science Summer School is a two-week program for high-achieving science students in years 11 and 12. The program offers students the opportunity to participate in lectures, tutorials, laboratory sessions and field trips, as well as social and cultural activities.
- University of Queensland Young Scholars Program: The University of Queensland Young Scholars Program is a three-week residential program designed to give high-achieving students a taste of university life. The program offers students the opportunity to participate in academic courses, leadership training, and social and cultural activities.
Japan is a fascinating destination for summer programs, offering a unique blend of traditional culture and modern technology. Many summer programs in Japan focus on science, technology, and culture, providing opportunities to explore cutting-edge research and technology while also experiencing Japanese culture and language. The country also offers a wide range of cultural experiences, from traditional tea ceremonies to anime and manga conventions.
- Keio University Summer Program: Keio University Summer Program is a four-week program that provides international undergraduate students with a unique opportunity to study Japanese language and culture. The program also offers seminars and field trips related to Japanese society and culture.
- University of Tokyo Summer Program in Japanese Language and Culture: The University of Tokyo Summer Program in Japanese Language and Culture is a four-week program that offers international students an opportunity to improve their Japanese language skills while learning about Japanese culture and society.
- Kyoto University Amgen Scholars Program: The Kyoto University Amgen Scholars Program is an eight-week research program for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in science. The program provides students with the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects in the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
- Waseda University Summer Session: Waseda University Summer Session is a four-week program that offers international students the opportunity to study Japanese language and culture, as well as a range of academic subjects such as economics, business, and politics.
- Tokyo Institute of Technology Summer Program: The Tokyo Institute of Technology Summer Program is a six-week program that offers international students the opportunity to study Japanese language and culture, as well as a range of academic subjects in science and engineering. The program includes lectures, laboratory work, and field trips to research facilities in Japan.
France is a popular destination for summer programs due to its rich culture, history, and language. Many summer programs in France focus on language immersion, as well as cultural and historical experiences. Some of the top summer programs in France include:
- Sciences Po Summer School: This program is hosted by Sciences Po, one of the top universities in France for social sciences. The program offers courses in politics, economics, international relations, and more.
- Sorbonne University Summer School: The Sorbonne is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in France, and its summer school offers courses in French language, literature, culture, and history.
- ESSEC Business School Summer Program: ESSEC is one of the top business schools in France, and its summer program focuses on international business, entrepreneurship, and innovation.
Italy is another popular destination for summer programs due to its rich history, art, and culture. Many summer programs in Italy focus on art, history, and language immersion. Some of the top summer programs in Italy include:
- Accademia Italiana Summer Programs: This program is hosted by Accademia Italiana, a leading school of art and design in Italy. The program offers courses in fashion design, graphic design, interior design, and more.
- Sant’Anna Institute: This program is located in Sorrento, a beautiful coastal town in southern Italy. The program offers courses in Italian language and culture, as well as cooking, art history, and more.
- Florence University of the Arts: This program is located in Florence, one of the most beautiful and historic cities in Italy. The program offers courses in Italian language, art history, fashion design, and more.
Spain is known for its vibrant culture, beautiful beaches, and delicious food. Many summer programs in Spain focus on language immersion, as well as cultural and historical experiences. Some of the top summer programs in Spain include:
- University of Barcelona Summer School: The University of Barcelona is one of the top universities in Spain, and its summer school offers courses in Spanish language and culture, as well as business, economics, and more.
- University of Salamanca Summer School: The University of Salamanca is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Spain, and its summer school offers courses in Spanish language and culture, as well as history, art, and more.
- IE University Summer Program: IE University is one of the top business schools in Spain, and its summer program focuses on entrepreneurship, innovation, and international business.
Germany is known for its engineering, technology, and innovation. Many summer programs in Germany focus on these areas, as well as German language and culture. Some of the top summer programs in Germany include:
- Technische Universität München Summer School: This program is hosted by Technische Universität München, one of the top universities in Germany for engineering and technology. The program offers courses in engineering, science, and technology.
- Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University: This program is hosted by Freie Universität Berlin, one of the top universities in Germany for social sciences and humanities. The program offers courses in German language and culture, history, politics, and more.
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management Summer School: This program is hosted by Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, one of the top business schools in Germany. The program focuses on finance, management, and leadership.
|United States||Large variety of programs in all subject areas; high academic standards; opportunity to experience American culture and improve English skills|
|United Kingdom||Academic rigor; focus on independent learning and research; opportunities to study at historic and prestigious universities|
|Canada||High academic standards; welcoming and diverse culture; opportunities to explore nature and wildlife|
|Australia||Relaxed and laid-back atmosphere; high quality of life; opportunities to explore natural landscapes and wildlife|
|New Zealand||Strong focus on sustainability and environmentalism; opportunities to explore natural landscapes and Maori culture|
|Japan||Immersion in unique and fascinating culture; high-tech facilities and innovative research opportunities|
|China||Opportunities to learn Mandarin and experience Chinese culture; fast-growing economy and business opportunities|
|Singapore||Highly multicultural and diverse society; strong focus on innovation and technology; high standard of living|
|Italy||Rich cultural heritage and opportunities to explore art, history, and cuisine; strong focus on design, fashion, and architecture|
|Spain||Opportunities to learn Spanish and experience Spanish culture; relaxed and friendly atmosphere; beautiful beaches and warm weather|
|Germany||High academic standards and strong research opportunities; focus on innovation and engineering; diverse and cosmopolitan culture|
Here are some useful statistics that can help students decide if pursuing a summer program abroad is the right choice:
- According to a report by Studyportals, the number of Indian students enrolled in summer programs abroad increased by 42% from 2017 to 2018.
- The United States is a popular destination for Indian students pursuing summer programs abroad. In 2019, over 202,000 Indian students were studying in the United States, with over 10,000 of them participating in summer programs, according to the Institute of International Education.
- In a survey by the British Council, over 70% of Indian students who participated in a summer program abroad reported that it helped them develop skills that would be useful in their future careers.
- The cost of summer programs abroad can vary widely, with some programs costing as little as a few thousand dollars and others costing tens of thousands of dollars. According to a survey by the British Council, the average cost of a summer program in the United Kingdom for Indian students is approximately £2,000-£3,000.
- Some universities and organizations offer scholarships and financial aid to help offset the cost of summer programs abroad. In a survey by the British Council, over 60% of Indian students who participated in a summer program abroad received some form of financial assistance.
Highlights of Summer Programs offered by Top Countries
|Country||Program Duration||Program Focus||Cultural Immersion||Location||Cost (INR)|
|United States||6-8 weeks||Hands-on learning||Limited||Urban or suburban||2,50,000 - 7,50,000|
|United Kingdom||4-6 weeks||Academic learning and research||Limited||Urban||2,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|Australia||6-8 weeks||Practical, hands-on learning||Limited||Urban or suburban||2,00,000 - 6,50,000|
|France||2-4 weeks||Language and culture||High||Urban||2,00,000 - 4,50,000|
|Japan||4-6 weeks||Science, technology, and culture||High||Urban||3,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|Italy||3-8 weeks||Art, Architecture and Culinary arts||High||Urban||2,50,000 - 6,50,000|
|Spain||3-6 weeks||Spanish language and culture||High||Urban or suburban||2,00,000 - 5,50,000|
|Germany||4-6 weeks||STEM, German language and culture||High||Urban||2,50,000 - 6,50,000|
Pursuing a summer program abroad can be a life-changing experience for Indian students. It offers the chance to explore new cultures, gain international experience, and develop valuable skills for their academic and professional careers. With careful planning and research, students can choose a summer program abroad that fits their academic and personal goals. Admit Achievers, as a study abroad consultancy, can help guide students through the process of choosing the right summer program abroad and assist with the application process.
How Admit Achievers Can Help?
At Admit Achievers, we understand that choosing the right summer programs is critical to building a strong profile and getting accepted into top universities to study abroad. That’s why we offer personalized study abroad consulting services to help Indian students make informed decisions about selecting universities, preparing application materials, and navigating the admissions process.
Our experienced consultants work with you to assess your academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and standardized test scores, and provide guidance on planning, effort, academics, GPA, standardized tests (such as SAT, ACT, GRE, and GMAT), TOEFL and IELTS, extracurricular activities, leadership and teamwork skills, work experience and internships, letters of recommendation, and essays.
With our support, you can choose the right summer programs and build a strong profile that showcases your unique strengths and increases your chances of acceptance at your dream university to study abroad.
Our consultants work closely with you to understand your goals and aspirations, and to help you choose the universities and programs that best align with your interests and career objectives.
To reach us, you can simply fill out the form provided here, and we will get back to you promptly.