Why Study Bachelor in Computer Science in the USA?
The USA is home to some of the world’s top-ranked universities for computer science, including MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Carnegie Mellon, and the University of California, Berkeley. These institutions are known for their world-class faculty, cutting-edge research, and innovative teaching methods.
Computer Science is a STEM program
It can be helpful for international students on an F-1 visa in OPT extension: F-1 visa holders who complete a degree in a STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) will be eligible for an additional 24 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) beyond the initial 12-month OPT period. This means that they can work in the United States for up to 36 months after graduation, which can provide valuable work experience and potentially lead to sponsorship for an H-1B visa.
High Employability Rate: Computer science is a highly sought-after field in the USA, and graduates with computer science degrees are in high demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 11% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This means that you’re likely to have excellent job prospects and career opportunities after graduation.
Diverse Curriculum: Computer science programs in the USA typically offer a diverse curriculum that covers a wide range of topics, including programming languages, algorithms, data structures, computer systems, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and more. This means that you’ll get a well-rounded education that prepares you for a variety of career paths.
Access to Resources:
The USA has a robust ecosystem of resources for computer science students and professionals, including hackathons, coding competitions, networking events, and mentorship programs. Additionally, many universities have partnerships with local tech companies, giving you access to internships, job opportunities, and real-world experience.
Overall, studying computer science in the USA offers numerous benefits, including a world-class education, and access to top-ranked universities.
Top Computer Science Specialization to study in Bachelor in Computer Science in the USA
Computer science is a highly popular field of study in the USA and there are several specializations within computer science that are in high demand. Here are some of the top specializations in computer science to study in the USA:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI is a rapidly growing field that involves developing intelligent machines that can perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as learning, problem-solving, and decision-making.
- Cybersecurity: With the increasing amount of data being stored and transmitted electronically, cybersecurity has become a required field. Students can specialize in areas such as network security, digital forensics, and cryptography.
- Data Science: Data Science involves using statistical methods, algorithms, and programming to extract insights and knowledge from data. This field is highly in demand across various industries.
- Software Engineering: Software Engineering focuses on designing, developing, and testing software systems. Students in this specialization learn how to apply software development principles and practices to design and build complex software systems.
- Computer Networks: Computer Networks is the study of how computer systems communicate with each other. Students in this specialization learn about the architecture, design, and implementation of computer networks and gain skills in network management, security, and optimization.
- Human-Computer Interaction (HCI): HCI is an interdisciplinary field that focuses on the design and evaluation of interactive systems that are intuitive and easy to use. Students in this specialization learn about the psychological and social aspects of human-computer interaction, as well as the technical aspects of designing user interfaces.
These are just a few examples of the many specializations available in computer science. When choosing a specialization, consider your interests, career goals,
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|3||Carnegie Mellon University|
|4||University of California, Berkeley|
|16||University of Washington|
|18||University of California, Los Angles|
|19||New York University|
Career Options and Average Salary after Studying for Bachelor in Computer Science in the USA
The average salary after studying computer science in the USA can vary depending on several factors such as location, job position, company, and level of experience. However, computer science is generally a high-paying field with many opportunities for growth and advancement.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median yearly salary for computer and information technology jobs in May 2020 was $91,250, surpassing the median wage for all occupations in the US by a notable margin.
Here are some average salaries for common job positions in computer science:
|Occupation||Median Annual Salary|
|Computer and Information Systems Manager||$151,150|
|Computer Network Architect||$116,780|
|Computer Systems Analyst||$93,730|
|Information Security Analyst||$103,590|
Again, these are just averages and individual salaries can vary widely depending on the factors mentioned above.
Cost of Studying Bachelor in Computer Science in the USA
The cost of studying for a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science in the USA can vary depending on several factors such as the university, location, and whether you are an international or domestic student. Here is a breakdown of the approximate costs:
- Tuition fees: Tuition fees can vary greatly depending on the university you choose to attend, with private universities being generally more expensive than public universities. On average, tuition fees for a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science can range from $20,000 to $60,000 per year.
- Room and board: The cost of room and board can also vary depending on the location of the university and whether you choose to live on or off campus. On average, room and board can range from $10,000 to $20,000 per year.
- Books and supplies: The cost of books and supplies can vary, but you can expect to pay around $1,200 per year.
- Health insurance: Health insurance is typically mandatory for international students at most universities. The cost of health insurance can vary, but you can expect to pay around $2,000 per year.
- Miscellaneous expenses: This can include transportation, personal expenses, and other miscellaneous fees. On average, miscellaneous expenses can range from $2,000 to $4,000 per year.
Overall, the total cost of studying for a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science in the USA can range from approximately $30,000 to $100,000 per year. It’s important to research and consider all of the costs involved and to explore options for financial aid and scholarships to help cover these costs.
Scholarships for Indian Students for Bachelors in Computer Science in the USA
Many scholarships are available for Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s in Computer Science in the USA. Here are some of the scholarships that you may consider which usually cover the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses throughout the program.
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships – The Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation provides scholarships to Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in the USA.
- Tata Scholarship – The Tata Scholarship provides funding for Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science at Cornell University in the USA.
- The Khorana Program for Scholars – The Khorana Program for Scholars provides funding for Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in the USA in fields related to science and engineering, including Computer Science.
- The Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation Scholarship – The Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation provides scholarships to Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in the USA.
- The S.N. Bose Scholars Program – The S.N. Bose Scholars Program provides funding for Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in the USA in fields related to science and engineering, including Computer Science. The
- The USIEF Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships – The USIEF Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships provide funding for Indian students who want to pursue a Master’s degree in the USA, including Computer Science.
These are just a few examples of the many scholarships available for Indian students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s in Computer Science in the USA.
When should you start the application process to apply for Bachelors’s in the USA?
Here’s a detailed timeline to apply for a Bachelor’s in Computer Science in the USA
- September – December: Start researching universities and programs that interest you. Look into admission requirements, course offerings, location, and campus life.
- January – March: Plan to take standardized tests like the SAT or ACT and TOEFL or IELTS (for non-native English speakers) if needed. Register for the exams and start preparing.
- April – June: Identify teachers, counselors, or mentors who could write strong letters of recommendation for you. Build relationships with them, attend office hours, and update them about your progress and achievements.
Summer Before Senior Year:
- June – August: Take standardized tests if you haven’t already and request transcripts to be sent to the universities you’re interested in. Attend summer programs or internships related to computer science if possible. It will add value to your application.
- September – October: Finalize the universities and programs you want to apply to. Look up their application deadlines and requirements. Start working on your personal statement or essay. Reach out to the people you identified for letters of recommendation and remind them of the deadlines.
- November – December: Complete your personal statement or essay. Ask your teachers and mentors to submit their letters of recommendation. Submit your application online through the university’s website or Common App.
- January – March: Monitor your application status online. Some universities may require interviews or additional information. Respond to their requests promptly. Acceptance and rejection letters start arriving in March and continue through April.
Overall, it’s best to start the process as early as possible and give yourself enough time to research, prepare, and submit a strong application.