The United Kingdom is the third most popular destination after the US and Australia among Indian students to study abroad. The trend for higher education today is quality of education in high ranked universities. The UK is the hub of the top ranked universities worldwide but also one of the expensive study destinations too.
The good news here is that the UK also provides a good amount of scholarships to the Indian students which will help the students to easily finance their education in the UK.
There are two types of scholarships offered by the UK
The UK government provides two large financial aid schemes to international students.
1. Chevening Scholarships- The Chevening scholarship program was started in 1983. This scheme is offered to the one-years master students with a strong academic background. This scheme awards to types of grants: scholarships and fellowships.
2. Commonwealth Scholarships- The commonwealth scholarships are jointly governed by 53 countries to provide funds to international students who want to study in the UK. This scholarship is offered to the one year masters students and the students pursuing a 3-4 years doctoral program. The students should be from the following academic background:
Engineering and Technology
Humanities and Social Sciences
Theoretical and Applied Sciences
Both the government scholarships are fully funded scholarships which covers the tuition fee and living expenditure with the added allowances.
These scholarships are offered by the UK universities to support international students willing to study in the UK.
Let’s look at a few of these scholarships program-wise. Most of the universities offer financial aid to the international students in the form of scholarships and bursaries. The eligibility of these scholarships varies from university to university. Some grants are department based while others are skills and academic based.
Scholarships for Bachelors Programmes
1. UK Scholarships from British Council: It’s a partial scholarship ranging between £3,000 up to £10,000.
2. Denys Holland Scholarship: The scholarship is awarded by the University college London to the international undergraduate scholars. The student awarded this scholarship will receive £9,000 every year during his studies which he can spend towards his tuition fee or living expenses.
3. Bristol University Scholarships: Awardee will receive £8,500 which go beyond university tuition fees.
4. International Undergraduate Engineering Scholarship: Scholarship offered by Nottingham Trent University to the students who want to pursue their undergraduate degree in the following field will receive a partial grant of £5,000 per year
- Sports Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering.
Scholarships for Masters Programmes
We have already covered two fully funded government scholarships for masters programs in this blog before. Let’s look at a few of the university scholarships.
1. Gates Cambridge Scholarship: Scholarship offered by the University of Cambridge which covers all the studying expenses
2. Rhodes House Scholarships: This scholarship is offered by University of Oxford which covers the tuition fee and two economic class airfares.
3. University of Sussex International Scholarships: This scholarship cover the half of the tuition fee for an academic year
4. Great Scholarships India: This scholarship is offered to 20 postgraduate students with the minimum amount of £10,000. This scholarship is jointly funded by the British government, British Council and many UK universities
5. British Council Scholarships For Women In STEM: British Council has initiated this scholarship in collaboration with 26 universities. This scholarship is specifically for the girls and women who aim to pursue their masters degree in STEM. It includes tuition fee, airfare, visa cost, health coverage and stipend. Special support will be provided to mothers
6. Scholarships for English Teachers in India: British Council also provides 3 fully funded scholarships to English teachers in India to pursue the MA in TESOL program from either University of Leeds or from University of Stirling.
Scholarships for MBA Programmes
1. MBA Skoll Scholarships: This scholarship is offered by Said Business School which covers the complete tuition fee and living expenses of the MBA student
2. International Scholarships at University of Westminster: All expenses including tuition fees, living expenses and airfare is covered in this scholarship
Scholarships for Doctoral/PhD Programmes
1. Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships: University of Edinburgh offer 30 scholarships to PhD students which covers partial tuition fees
2. University Prize Scholarships: Fully funded scholarship offered by the University of Sheffield which covers both tuition fees and other expenses
As we mentioned earlier, most of the UK universities provide different types of financial aid to the students. It is always advisable to properly check the eligibility, requirements and the timeline to apply to these financial aids. Here is the list of more UK universities offering scholarships to the international students. Click any university to view the respective details.
And many more…..